Tuesday, April 17, 2012

But I just CAN'T give up bread?!

I have this conversation a lot:

Them: So what is Paleo?
Me: *insert party line about eating like a caveman and clean foods*
Them: So I'd have to give up bread and cheese?! That sounds great, but I just CAN'T give up bread.
Me: *polite smile*

Well, just so you know, you CAN give up bread. You are just choosing not to.

There are a lot of things in life that just happen. But what you pick up with your hand and put in your mouth is completely up to you. No excuses. You have no choice but to own that fact.

I have no choice but to own that fact.

Photos of Inn at Narrow Passage, Woodstock
This photo of Inn at Narrow Passage is courtesy of TripAdvisor
So that said, let me introduce you to my Paleo Wagon. Aint she a beaut.

The ride is bumpy as hell. I fall off all the time. But luckily, I'm not racing. I go slow so when I fall off I have time to dust myself off before I hop back on.

That's really what it's all about. It isn't about if you can give up bread, because you can. It's about making the decision to dust yourself off and get on the wagon.

I can give you all kinds of science about the evils of grains and dairy.  And about how soy shouldn't be a food. But you can research that all on your own.

In the end you are going to decide if you want to make a change for yourself or not. When you do (See, I said when, I'll convince you eventually.), I want you to know it's not all sunshine and rainbows. Somedays are really easy. Sometimes it's plain ol' hard. Mistakes happen. But it isn't a race, you'll have plenty of time to dust off and get back at it.


Steak with a side of broccoli and carrots? Paleo
Pulled chicken on a giant bed of leafy greens? Paleo
Bacon with a side of bacon? Paleo
4 scrambled eggs and two pieces of sausage? My lunch!


Now, if I have you convinced, there are some great resources in my side bar there. Click away and learn all you can.

If you still think you just can't give up bread or cheese then how about try for a balanced diet. You know, like adding in the rest of the food in the breakfast cereal commercial. After all, grainy-o's and skim milk is not a balanced meal, even the commercial says so. Get out your fancy new First Lady good plate and fill it up appropriately. That means barely more than a 1/5th of your meal should be a grain.

Plate of spaghetti? Not balanced.
Whole grain bagel with low-fat strawberry cream cheese? Not balanced.
Turkey sandwich from Subway? Not balanced.

(Funny how those companies pushing their products would really like you to think otherwise.)

If you really want to see a difference in your waist, your mood, and your energy level. Clean up your diet. It's as simple as that. Go Paleo for 30 days. Join my Whole 30. Do Mark's 30 Day Challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment