Wednesday, May 30, 2012

On Being Sick and Losing Weight

I have a summer cold. It's been brewing for a week and is now in full blown snot status. And I have my kids to thank for it. But they seemed to have the lite version because they haven't slowed down a bit. (Or use the quantity of tissues I do.)  I'm missing the days where I could just hide in bed for a day or two and rest to recover. I feel like one full day of sleep is all it would take. But who has time for that?! I'm missing the days where I could just hide in bed for a day or two and rest to recover. I feel like one full day of sleep is all it would take. But who has time for that?! The worst bit for me is that it's kept us out of the gym. I know I talk about it a lot, but I really love my Crossfit gym.

Since I haven't been to the gym in a week, I've had to really look at my diet. My Whole 30 challenge never turned into more than a Half 30. I'm easily distracted and lazy about cooking. So when someone suggests take-out, I'm not one to turn it down. I have been making better choices. Bunless burgers, naked nuggets, those types of things. But I haven't turned down the french fries. They have no redeeming nutritional value, but man alive, they are tasty.

But I've still lost weight. Why? Because Paleo works, even if you fudge it just a little bit. See, it's about cutting out grains first. I could spew about all the science, but I wont. The fact is, I'm not all that solid on the science of it, except that I've read it. It's all there. It makes perfect sense. But you wont truly understand until you cut them out of your diet.

Things that are true for me just because I've cut out grains:

1. I can eat all the fatty protein I want and still lose weight. Yay for steak and bacon!
2. I eat healthy vitamin filled fruits and still lose weight. No counting carbs for me. I've already cut out the big carbs, grains.
3. When I had gestational diabetes, I could keep my blood sugar in check by not eating grains. It was that simple. (The first time I had to use insulin, because I didn't know better.)
4. I don't get bloated.
5. My bathroom situation is nice and smooth because I get my fiber from soft fruits and veggies, instead of rough grains. (TMI?)

So maybe I should stop there. The point is, I have a lot of good things going because I have cut out grains and the only bad thing is that making a sandwich for lunch is out. Sandwiches are so easy. Want to know what else is easy? Meat with some raw veggies and a handful of nuts, a bowl of premixed salad, an apple and some nutbutter (my usual breakfast), a PaleoKit (oh my goodness, so tasty!), leftover steak (does that exist?). There are so many things you can do besides reach for bread. It's like the creative eating copout.

Sorry, I was trying not to get preachy. It's hard when I know it works and I know it would work for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment