Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Double Unders!

I was good at jumping rope when I was little. I could out jump most kids in my class. I never managed most of the really cool tricks. But I had a few that were impressive to the other 10 year olds at the playground. Fast forward 20+ years... well, let's just say it's been a while. It didn't take long to get the skipping down again. Like a bicycle, I suppose.

But Double Unders are a beast of their own. It's a completely different rhythm that even some of the elite at our gym struggle with. It's a matter of speed and timing. And when you miss, those wire speed ropes are not forgiving! It makes it so that you have to really want it to even try.

So I'm not really sure what I was thinking when during my 90 rep single skips, I decided to try a double under. But I got it!

Woo! I totally shouted to everyone that I got my first double under!

And no one heard me. The music was up too loud and they were all busy.

Photo credit: Reba
So I tried again. And I got another! I was so freaking excited.

And tired. I only managed the two.

I totally told everyone at the gym after the work out. And by everyone, I mean everyone! I was even caught in action bragging about my accomplishment.

After I got home, I felt a bit like a nerd about telling everyone. It didn't stop me from Facebooking about it. ... Or blogging about it.

Sometimes, it's the little things that make Crossfit so great. There wasn't one person I told that wasn't excited for me.

It feels good to accomplish something new and difficult. And it's very validating when you see your hard work pay off.

Next time, I'll get 3. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment