Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Lesson Learned: No breaks

Last week was busy. And by busy, I mean, I started reading the Hunger Games. I gave in and decided to find out what it was all about. So between parenting and reading, I didn't really make much time for anything else. You would think with a schedule like that, I'd manage to squeeze in some cleaning, considering we had guests coming Saturday. But I didn't. In the end, my husband saved the day there. He's a good man.

It didn't help that my fourth month old baby was having a nurse-athon. And was seriously moody. So between the book, the big kids, and the baby I was feeling a bit overwhelmed. I might should have dropped the book. But it's like a movie. I can't quit reading once I start, I need to know what's going to happen.

What I ended up dropping was Crossfit. Wednesday is my rest day. Tuesday night was when I started the first book. I powered through it and started book 2 Wednesday night. Thursday rolled around, time for Crossfit... except by then I was overwhelmed. I wasn't accomplishing what I wanted to around the house, half because of the kids, half because of my personal choices. It made me funky. And in the end, I told my husband, I just didn't want to go. I don't remember, but there was a good chance the WOD including running. That would make talking myself out of going a lot easier.

Where is all this going?

Fast forward to Monday. (Because if you've read this far, I should get to my point.) I went back to Crossfit. And O.M.G. I hurt today. Granted yesterday's WOD started with a Warm-up that was more accurately called the Work-Out before the Work-Out.

Now, if I'd been a good girl and hadn't take 5 days off, it would have still been hard, but it wouldn't have been the near death experience it was. (And continues to be because my muscles are really mad at me.) I wouldn't have been gasping for air and having to shake out my limbs after every round. Today, I feel like I've never done a squat before. Tomorrow threatens more due to delayed onset muscle soreness. Something I never even knew about before Crossfit, but have a close personal relationship with now.

And yet, I'm going back tonight. I don't know how I managed to talk myself out of it last week. As much as it sucks at the time, I love it. It's hard to explain. I'm not even sure I really could, but any other person that goes to Crossfit knows exactly what I'm talking about.

No comments:

Post a Comment