Monday, March 26, 2012

Drink Water!

You know that feeling when you've been outside in the hot summer sun. Maybe you've been gardening, running or just watching the kids play in the sprinkler. Whatever the reason. You head back inside to the crisp A/C and make yourself a tall glass of ice water and drink the whole thing before you walk away from the sink. Yeah, that feeling. Why is it that water tastes so good? Why can't water taste that good all the time?

I'm one of those people that generally likes water. Unlike my son, who would rather go thirsty, I have no problems drinking it. Sometimes, I order water at the restaurant because I want it, not because I'm broke. Then why is it so hard to drink it all the time? If I have other beverages available in the house, I'll always drink those first. Diet Dr Pepper is a weakness. But iced tea or coffee will work. Is it the caffeine?

I'm not convinced it's the caffeine. I wont deny I have an addiction. I suspect most of the globe does. But I generally keep my dosing low.

The fact is, I just don't drink that much to start with. One 20 oz bottle of soda will last me a whole morning. A same size glass of water will last longer. I just don't get to it. Maybe it goes back to my scheduling issues. I am a mother of 3 after all. I don't even get to go potty without someone hunting me down needing something.

As I write this, I have a cup of iced coffee that I made 6 hours ago sitting next to me that I haven't finished. Although, I have to admit, I'm one of those strange adults that isn't all that fussed about coffee. I'd rather have soda. (Which is why I'm having coffee, I quit buying soda so I wouldn't drink it as much.) But instead of finishing my cup for the morning caffeine, I've just sipped at it all day and I've never moved onto the water portion of my day.

So...

I'm going to try to drink more water. I've fessed up to my problem. It isn't just that I need to drink water, it's that I need to drink more fluids period. Water is cheap. It's clean. And it's good for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment